Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Batman

I am not generally a fan of sci-fi, adventure, or other similar genres of movies, including movies about superheroes and comic book/strip characters. So I have never seen any Batman movie nor would I be interested in seeing any Batman movie but for the fact that Heath Ledger is playing (so I hear) the role of a lifetime. I am a huge Heath Ledger fan, so I'm anxious to see his performance as the Joker.

A group of friends had made plans to go see The Dark Knight this week but with the caveat that only those who had previously seen Batman Begins could come along. Fine, whatever. Neither of us had, so Che bought the movie on iTunes a couple of nights ago and watched (and enjoyed) it. I started it last night and am actually enjoying it so far. I have about 45 minutes left, which I intend to watch on the treadmill this afternoon while I'm running, so that I can earn my admission to The Dark Knight this evening.

That said, how is it that I have gone 34 years without knowing that Batman is not actually a superhero? He has NO superhuman powers. I can't tell you how disappointed I was watching Batman Begins last night and realizing that he is just a super strong, well-trained guy with a bunch of high-tech equipment and gadgets. Like Inspector Gadget, but cooler. He can't fly? He can't scale walls? He doesn't magically transform from Bruce Wayne to Batman by some means other than donning his bulletproof suit?? I truly thought that the scene where he confronted the bats in the underground tunnel was where he would gain his superhuman Batman powers. But no.

I'm guessing that means Robin is just a sidekick who rides along in his cool car too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just as funny now as when you told me on the phone. Except your forgot to mention his "hat" that he puts on with the suit, or as some people would call it a mask.

sharon

The Fab Miss B said...

Its gotta be tough coming up with new ways to give people super powers. I mean, you can only have so many accidents in labs before people begin to grow wary...