Monday, July 7, 2008

Community Supported Agriculture

I first heard about CSAs when I was living in Austin, and for $10/week, a bag full of fresh fruit and veggies and sometimes farm-fresh eggs would show up on my doorstep every Friday. It exposed me to all kinds of new and interesting produce, and I loved the challenge of figuring out what to do with it all before the next delivery.

In an effort to regain control of my eating (and cooking), I just joined a local, organic CSA and received my first delivery of the summer season last Tuesday:


That gigantic baguette-looking vegetable is an Armenian cucumber, and it seriously is as long as my arm. A third of it made for wonderful marinated (in rice vinegar, sugar, salt, sesame oil, and crushed red pepper) cucumbers to go on the side of garlic-sesame pork tenderloin. Most of the bounty kept well while we were in NYC (trip report to come shortly), and I hope to use a lot of it once tomorrow's delivery arrives and I see what else is on the menu this week. Unfortunately, I knew the ripe plum and yellow pear tomatoes wouldn't, so I generously shared those with my coworkers, who swore they did not let them go to waste.

Can't wait for tomorrow's delivery! Hoping for more tomatoes so I can make Cooking Light's fabulous tomato and eggplant gratin.

3 comments:

Heather Williams said...

Your produce looks amazing!! It must be awesome to have an assortment like that to work with...looks like it will be a tasty few weeks at your house!!

-Heather

Traveling Em said...

Oh, how I miss my CSA. I'm so glad you were able to find one in Phoenix! Did you get more tomatoes?

Em

aggie94 said...

Yep, totally inundated with eggplant, tomatoes, cukes, squash, and melons. Not that I'm complaining - I'm just having to get more creative with my cooking!